good skin takes time and dedication. (well... everything does).
there is irony in applying dirt to pull dirt out of your skin! this is one of my favorite masks because you can actually feel it working on skin... which will feel like a baby's butt (this is highly coveted!) afterwards. guaranteed. the ingredients in this earthy-smelling mask helps calm skin, lift impurities, exfoliate dead skin cells, and remove excess oils.
- directions: apply a thin layer for 10-15 minutes. like mud, it will begin to harden and crack on your face. rinse with warm water.
- usage: 1x every two weeks. i also use this as a spot treatment for my nose in between.
- cost: $51 USD for 60ml. (one jar will last me almost 6+ months.)
02 | Aspirin mask
if there is only one mask to pick from, this is it. i learned about this mask ages ago from the very famous make-up/skincare guru @MichellePhan. here is her original Youtube clip. this is the CHEAPEST and most effective mask in terms of preventing breakouts. aspirin contains salicylic acid which is always the main ingredient in treating acne. it also helps clean your pores, exfoliate your skin, and reduce redness. all you need is uncoated aspirin, basically aspirin that is not sugar coated like Advil. (the bottle in the picture above can be purchased at Target. i realize it says "coated" but it is good to go).
- directions: use 3-4 tablets, dissolve with a few drops of water, add a drop of honey for adhesive-ness, mix together and spread on face for 15 minutes. rinse with warm water. as you are rinsing this off, take the opportunity to exfoliate with the grainy-ness of the aspirin.
- usage: 1x a week. (this mask is amazing, but do not overuse it!)
- notes: i also use this as a spot treatment (day and night) when i notice a pimple trying to make an appearance... it's my way of saying 'GOTCHA!' #sorrynotsorry
- cost: $4.99 USD for 500 tablets = 125 masks. that is $0.04 per mask.... can't get cheaper than that.
Caudalie has a great range of skincare items. i think i've already mentioned my holy grail Caudalie vinosource S.O.S thirst quenching serum. they recently launched a range of masks. since my skin is combo and a little on the dry side, i picked up the hydrating mask. it is cream-based but not too thick. as all their products, the scent is light and pleasant. "A mask that restores moisture levels to relieve tightness, reduce redness and increase softness for a hydrated, dewy glow."
- directions: apply for 15 minutes. then massage in the excess.
- usage: as needed.
- notes: the new line of masks also includes a Purifying, Instant Detox, and Glycolic Peel. another hydrating mask i've also been wanting to try is the Skinceuticals hydrating B5 masque.
- cost: $39 USD for 2.5oz. purchase it tax-free from beauty.com.
i've talked about my SK-II regimen here. the SK-II facial treatment mask is the most expensive mask i treat myself to. it is cloth-based that is drenched in the magical SK-II ingredient; pitera. this mask is so popular that make up artists use this on brides as part of their routine, and it is often used as a post-airplane pick me up.
- directions: place cloth mask on face, lay down for 20 minutes. take mask off (feel free to put it back in the package and re-use it again the next day). DO NOT rinse off.
- usage: once on a blue moon! (due to price tag).
- notes: use every DROPLET left in this package on your beautiful face! in the summer, i will refrigerate this packet before using it.
- cost: $17 USD for one mask, $95 for six masks, $135 for ten masks. purchase it tax-free from bloomingdales.com.
rock the face mask,