wedding season is upon us!
ah yes, it's that time of the year when we're all scrambling to find that wedding guest dress and determining which to wear to what, seeing what we can borrow from our friends, and who will be at what wedding so you can possibly re-wear something. anyone with me?!
when this dress arrived from Maggy London, i immediately knew i wanted to do a post on wedding guest dresses. this Maggy London betty dress is a perfect wedding guest dress for a few reasons: it is not too casual or too dressy, below the knee length, the jacquard print makes it a great dress for some sort of event (does not have to be a wedding), fit and flare bottom (forgiving after a good meal), not to mention.... it has POCKETS. it's the little things y'all. i linked some options for guest of the wedding dresses after the jump and in shop the post, all under $150.
some things to keep in mind when picking a dress to wear to a wedding (merely my own opinions):
- YES... even though it is 2017 and the fact that i'm old school... DO NOT wear white (or any shade of white including cream, off-white, etc...) to a wedding! please for the love everyone.
- keep it classy. you can never go wrong with a conservative, classy outfit -- nothing too revealing, too low cut, too short, too tight like a sausage casing etc...
- if you have to ask someone "is this okay to wear to a wedding?" -- it probably isn't, so don't.
- depending on the type of venue, like a beach/destination wedding you can totally get away with a flowy summer dress with some sandals. but otherwise, that isn't appropriate to wear to a formal wedding venue.
- when all else fails, wear a black dress. you can never go wrong with the #LBD. jazz it up with some earrings, a statement necklace, or some lipstick. see my lastest post on the LBD (both wedding appropriate).
- not feeling a dress? JUMPSUIT it! bust out that wide leg jumpsuit you never really get to wear and rock it. or... wear a MAXI dress!
- never wear jeans. ever. or hats, shorts, flip flops...
- anything too sexy, too glitzy/sequin-y.
lastly, if you would like to follow along i'll be taking over the @MaggyLondon instagram for the next three days!! i am beyond thrilled for this opportunity!! #powerofpossibilities
currently on my playlist: call on me by Starley
dress c/o | Maggy London betty fit & flare -- Maggy London sophi (so beautiful, see it on my blogger babe @stylebeacon) // Maggy London georgia flare // Maggy London illusion dress
shoes | Manolo Blahnik BB pump in nude patent -- similar // similar
bag | J.Crew Factory rattan clutch in natural pale gold (old) -- similar // similar but more dressy (on my wishlist!) // similar but more dressy for $69
earrings | Kendra Scott cade stud earrings in rose gold -- buy earrings and the necklace in a set for $100
necklace | Kendra Scott chelsea pendant necklace in rose gold -- buy the necklace and the earrings in a set for $100
sunglasses | Le Specs savanna 51mm sunglasses in tortoise (love this brand!, it fits so well!) -- similar and on sale! // similar but reflective
rings | Gorjana c/o shimmer stacking ring set // Gorjana amara ring set // Gorjana mini stackable ring set // Etsy stacking & midi rings // Gorjana candice CZ ring // BaubleBar ice chevron midi ring (sold out) -- similar // BaubleBar tri bar ring (old) -- similar
lips | MAC amplified creme lipstick in brick-o-la
nails | essie gel couture in pre snow jitters
rock the wedding guest dress -- BE MY GUEST! (ok, sorry. i'm still in the Beauty & the Beast mode),
photo credit: Brandon Hill
a post done in collaboration with Maggy London.
dresses provided by Maggy London, all opinions are my own.