nothing worthwile is ever easy.
in theory, i couldn't think of a better way than celebrating FOUR years of jannadoan dot com (JDC) with @theory__! #nopunintended. being able to work with Theory was one of the handful of highlights/life's little victories lately. til this day, i am still pinching myself with thoughts of "is this real life right now?" a brand so selective, streamlined, minimal, SO luxe and classy wanted to work with me?! SAY WHAT? i thought the email was addressed to the wrong person for a second. #grateful. what a year it has been. lots of breaks were taken, but in the end here i am still chugging/typing/snapping away four years // 1,460 days later. (insert huge grin). my reflections, janna-style after the jump.
it's ironic that i call myself a fashion blogger because i don't keep up with trends that much. as a woman in her 30s i realize that not all trends are for me. i dabble in some but most trends have me scratching my head. i know i'm not the only one. the fanny pack has always been questionable to me. actually, very questionable unless it's the 70s and you're a dad/mom going to a theme park, but even then! enter a belt bag. now this i can get on board with but it's NOT functional. it's sleek, minimal, and zero space for anything because the point is, you don't want it to look chunky. you want it to be there without actually being there. ya feel me?! i have nothing in it in the photos below haha (i hope someone is reading this).
instead of buying a belt bag, i got creative and made my own with items i already had. it's actually a crossbody bag (see it styled here), i removed the leather strap and used a minaudiere gold chain to strap it onto me. VOILA. not gonna lie, it was a genius moment i'm pretty proud of. paired with a silk jogger style jumpsuit? (#protip: if you have #shortgirlproblems like me, avoid hemming pant jumpsuits with a jogger style one that cuffs at the bottom). this is as trendy as it is gonna get here on JDC. lastly, the silk of Theory is unlike any other silk i've touched. it's so soft, smooth, comfy that i actually want to sleep in it. i guess it would be wrong to sleep a $300+ jumpsuit. there has to be a market for Theory pjs.
currently on my playlist: whatever it takes by Imagine Dragons
kudos to all the other women doing the same out there. it. ain't. easy. i mean it looks easy and glamorous but it's the exact opposite. and i don't even have a child! so kudos to blogger moms out there holding it down!! it takes a few things i have to highlight below in bullet format, because... you know how i roll.
- confidence -- the ability to do your THANG no matter what. as a shy person by nature, i will shoot photos in the middle of places with high traffic if i have to. it takes some dang confidence to have other people either stare, laugh, honk, (insert other verbs) at you. #awkward. not everyone can do it so i give myself some major credit here. also, the ability to attend events when you might not know anyone. that takes guts, i don't care what anyone says. one of my mottos is "suit up and show up." figuratively and literally.
- courage -- in a world where everyone is trying to keep up with the latest and be the greatest, it's hard not to lose sight of YOU and your purpose. by this i don't necessarily mean have the courage to be different but have the courage to be you. seems pretty DUH, but in 2018, it must be said.
- persistence -- the ability to push through and strive to do your best; even when everything seems to be going wrong/backwards or when people bring you down. it's like walking through mud (or a better analogy is pushing a lawn mower through wet grass). it's not fun, is futile, and makes you question what the heck you're doing. but if you have the drive & passion, put those blinders on (or really oversized sunglasses) and keep going my friend. #cantstopwontstop, ya know?!
- planning -- i never thought i would need to consider what side a building faces and where the sun will be at a certain time on it. also planning way in advance i.e., shooting fall stuff in 100F weather, or planning IG posts/blog posts, content creation. the planning never stops.
- appreciation -- of the five, this will get you the farthest. defined as: the recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something. expressing appreciation and gratitude to those who helped me get to where i am today and believed in me enough to give me an opportunity is something i never lose sight of. and besides, it's just really who i am.
through life, i've been told that it is important to always take a step back and reflect. it's hard to find the time these days especially with the 2018-pace-of-life. but when you do, you'll realize HOW far you've come, what you've accomplished, what you've learned along the way. bottom line: it fills you with #GRATITUDE. we can always use more of that, am i right?! i'm a firm believer that a little gratitude leads to greatness. to be honest, the past year has not been the most fruitful for my site on all accounts -- amounts made on commission, traffic, social media, brand collaborations etc... everything has actually declined and gone downhill. my followers have remained stagnant, i've made less in commissions, constantly rejected by brands, and my traffic is at an all time low. however, it would be remiss if i didn't acknowledge the things that i did accomplish: this past year i signed and negotiated my first PAID sponsorships! WAH HOO! i mean only took this long! haha. i created my first invoice. OH, how can i forget?! I FILMED and EDITED MY FIRST YOUTUBE video (i know... i only uploaded ONE and i'm really behind on others) but that's a huge accomplishment and i'm sticking to it. cheers y'all! xx
jumpsuit c/o | Theory silk combo jumpsuit in black (wearing size small for reference, also available in fuschia) -- was also torn between this one
bag | ZARA mini crossbody bag in white (old) + gold chain -- an actual belt bag // love this half moon one! // similar
shoes | Madden Girl bella block heel sandal in black -- same shoe at DSW // similar at Target for $30 // similar but shorter heel
earrings | Kendra Scott diane earrings in gold -- newer design and smaller // available in matte colored as well
sunglasses | Sonix avalon 57mm retro sunglasses in black -- same in tortoise and on sale! // similar by Le Specs // love these
rings | Gorjana amara ring set // Amanda Deer c/o CZ solitaire ring // Amanda Deer c/o CZ accents midi ring
watch | Michael Kors darci watch in gold
photo credit: Madeline Harper